4/27/09

Pittsburgh Bound

Woohoo!! Tomorrow night I leave for Pittsburgh to run the Philips Respironics Half Marathon this coming Sunday. This race is extra important/special to me for a couple reasons. 1) I haven’t run a half marathon in about a year and a half 2) I actually work for Philips, so it’s really cool to see my company getting involved in something like this- of course I’ll be wearing my BC gear instead of my company logo :) and 3) My big sister lives just outside Pittsburgh and I definitely don’t need an excuse to visit her and her two adorable daughters. I even get to take part in a Princess party while I’m there as the older one turns three in a few weeks. I just can’t say no to those pleading eyes and “Pllleeeease B!!!” And why would I want to?
Two summers ago, when my niece was just over a year old, my sister was visiting Washington with her for the summer. They cheerfully got up early and came to my races and little Emily became my biggest cheerleader. Kids will take any excuse to clap and squeal! Now, as she starts to grow up, I hope she still stays excited for racing. She is a huge reason why I race. On the day she was born, she had a minor stroke and was in NICU for a week. She’s doing fabulously now- but anytime I’m racing and it starts getting tough- I think about what that tiny little girl went through in the first three months of her life. And now, I get the chance to run in her hometown and get welcomed back to the finish line by her little squeals of “Yay B!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment