4/22/09

Nature....

I like nature. I don’t think nature likes me. For example, I get pooped on by birds more often than I think the average person should. In fact, one time I was out with a guy I was seeing and a bird pooped on my dinner plate. Luckily I was done eating. We broke up the next day. Last fall, I had to go to Florida for work, so I was pretty excited to get some warmth and hang out with some coworkers. The guy from Canada and I were really excited about all the tiny geckos running around the pool. But they were impossible to get a picture of. I had just told a Florida coworker this as we were walking into a restaurant to meet up with other people- when out of nowhere, something falls from a tree and lands on my head. Yes, a tiny lizard was caught in my hair. Naturally, I screamed. I’m not scared of them- but it was in my hair!!

So, this weekend, was just another example of the “nature” things that happen to me. Saturday was gorgeous so I went for a 13 mile run. About three miles in, I’m running along and singing to myself, when a large bug flies into my mouth! The cyclists riding by the other direction I’m sure had a great laugh at me trying to spit it all out while still running.

The next day, I decide to go for a bike ride. On my way down to the trail, I see deer. This isn’t too uncommon because I do live on a greenbelt, but this little family was hanging out on the sidewalk. I blame clear-cutting. Some developer is building a huge new complex right there and I’m sure wiped out the deer families home. So, it saddens me for a bit, but I can’t dwell too much, the land has already been destroyed- so on to the trail. Halfway through my ride, I see a snake. A little black and green thing. I scream. Like a girl. Like a five year old little girl. I hate snakes. Really hate them. Petrified of them even. Ew. I’m getting creeped out just thinking about it.

Moving on. Yesterday was gorgeous. I had to ride my bike to work. There was no way I was going to let such a beautiful day pass by. So, back to the trail to take a more scenic route to work. I’m noticing the mist rising off the slough. The chirping of birds, a few squirrels running about and thinking what a great day it is. I come around a corner and there is duck sleeping on the middle of the path, a few chickens running around and then some pigeons. Two on the right, one on the left. I make a bit of whistling sound to alert them to my presence and the two on the right take off, and then the one on the left does as well- first flying left and then realizing his buddies when right. He turns around and flies right into my hand! I tried to swerve as I realized he was about to hit me, but we apparently had the same swerve pattern. He just clipped me with his wing, but it definitely startled me.

Seriously. This is the kind of stuff that happens to me ALL the time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment