1/6/11

Brrrrr!

I'm going to come right out and say it. It's cold and sucky in the greater Puget Sound area.  We had some snow just before Thanksgiving. Then some more crappy snow a few days before the new year. After which the temperature dropped and stayed down there, only to finally get to the 40's and RAIN. Luckily a week later the snow is gone (hooray!!)  

I will admit that the even with the other than spectacular weather I have not quit running. New Year's day, on only about 3.5 hours of sleep, I met up with a friend and one of her friends for the Resolution Run and Polar Bear dip. Yes. Dip. As in water. As in Lake Washington (a really really big lake by Seattle).  The air temp was still below freezing at the 10:30 start, and the water temp was all of 42. Yes. 42.  At Ironman two years ago they let us wear neoprene booties at 59 degrees and even contemplated not having the swim. Okay, so the major difference is that 42 felt almost warm after running a 5k in the freezing air.  Seriously, cold. So cold in fact that the water dripping off us as we exited quickly froze on the path creating an ice rink to the finish line. Sweet!!!!! It was incredible. I can't wait for next year. The plan is to get a bunch of people to do it, or at least come watch, then celebrate the insanity afterwards with some majorly good grub.

So, the 2nd of January was Sunday- my typical long run day. I did a relatively easy, but cold, 10.4 miles running into my old roommate about a half a mile from my car at the end and wound up with sushi plans for that night. Mmmmmm. Sushi.

However, the pain in my chest that I've been feeling more on than off since the Seattle half marathon has hit a high this week and breathing is getting difficult. I've made a doctor appointment for tomorrow morning so hopefully it's something easy like bronchitis. And by easy, I mean treatable.  And not "we have no idea what's wrong with you. Drink some water and rest"  because I don't really know how to rest.  

Big things this year.

BIG.

HUGE.

FUN!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Until you enjoy the single digits and negative temps of a Wisconsin winter you so should not be throwing Brrrr's around so recklessly!

    And ps, big things you say? I'd like some details lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Katie! However, I'm used to 40's and thus only have appropriate clothing for such!!! And a deep rooted hatred of snow. :)

    Big things... that would be Ironman Arizona! I had promised friends and family I would only do these every other year at most- but isn't the end of November 2011 close enough to 2012 to count? I'm extending my training program from 20 to 36 weeks with big hopes (which include learning to run!) Guess I won't be finding Mr. Right this year either :P

    ReplyDelete