5/24/10

where am I??

I went for an 84 mile bike ride yesterday, had some decent hills, but nothing too major that was unmanageable.  I got a bit of a later start than I wanted, but by then the rain had stopped and I wound up wearing too much clothing and trying to strip down and secure everything back on myself or my bike. Let's see, I had on: GoreTex shoe cover, shorts, tights, short-sleeved jersey, arm warmers and a rain jacket and two pairs of gloves. The under layer of gloves and the arm warmers were the first to go. Easy to stash. Then the jacket and the shoe covers. Not as easy. I was wearing a Camelbak too, so not sure if that helped or hindered my tucking. Needless to say, my super light bike was not so light with three full 24 oz water bottles, extra gear, my Camelback with about 40 oz of water and a couple snacks, my cell phone and Garmin GPS (in case I got realllly lost). But, on the plus side, I managed to ride with all that extra weight- so when IM rolls around in a few weeks and I'm down a couple pounds it should make it easier. I hope.

I started at my house in Maltby, rode towards Canyon Park (Bothell) up to Silver Lake, dropped down to the Snohomish Valley and rode to the edge of Everett, then looped around to Snohomish then followed the trail all the up to North Marysville.  

I paused at a trail head in Lake Stevens to strip some gear and use the bathroom. And wouldn't you know. I ran into Barbara Brewer. I met her last weekend riding the same trail, but at the other end. We rode last weekend for awhile (in the rain) and talked. She is a former Pro Duathlete (8th at the World Championships in 1992?) She also has WON the Belfast marathon. It was definitely an honor to ride with her and hear her stories. Such an amazing, humble and delightful woman. So, imagine my shock when I saw her yesterday with her daughter and husband and she says "This is the Bri, the girl I was telling you about. The Ironman!" Wow. My only response "you're too kind- Ironman finisher... I'm not fast, I can just keep going!!"   I'm really hoping I run into her again.  Such an inspiration.

Anyway, I didn't get home until about 6:30 last night, which isn't late- except the entire day was gone and I'd eaten real food last at 8:30am- before Jacque and I went running!  I laid around on the couch for awhile trying to get my head on straight and then finally put myself to bed around 9:30- only to stay up until after 11 messing around online and really accomplishing nothing. I kept telling myself to go to bed but I was at the super tired place where I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep, plus, I was starting to hurt.

Amazingly, my shoulders are the only thing that hurt today! How does that work?? I know they hold a lot of weight while riding aero, but really? Are they that weak? Are my legs that much stronger than I thought?? Who knows. But my long swim tonight should help loosen them up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment