5/11/10

It's the countdown!

So... my bday is in 31 days. One month from today I will be  30. And then a mere two weeks later, I will be making my second attempt at finishing an Ironman triathlon.  Training has been tough, I'm not  going to lie about that. It's hard. Every workout is hard- even the 'easy' ones. Getting motivated, getting enough to eat, eating quality food. And surprisingly- even getting enough sleep. One would think I'd be so exhausted I'd crash out for 8 hours and be good. Well, I am exhausted, but I also hurt and that doesn't always make it easy to sleep peacefully.

I'm also 29 and have friends. And sometimes these friends and I like to have a few beers and stay up too late going to movies, eating junk food and just enjoying life around the campfire until 2am. After which, I inevitably will be up by 7 or 8 and thinking about some epic workout.  Even last Saturday I was up early- didn't eat breakfast, but enjoyed some coffee and went to help my mom clean the garage. After nearly passing out, around noon I finally ate a little then we headed up to the lake so I could swim. On my rest day. (The weather was beautiful, I had to). Home that night for a campfire and beers. Up early Sunday to begin eating for my 4 hour bike ride. I managed to get in a nice 70 miles over rollers. Loving it! Except the triangle sunburn on my right shoulder blade.

So, these are my peak weeks. And I'm trying not to spread myself too thin. I just need to remind myself it will all be worth it when I'm feeling good on the bike and ready to tackle the run. And then seeing my friends and family at the finish line and enjoying massive amounts of food the next day and taking a week off from training to enjoy summer in the PNW. There's nothing better!

No comments:

Post a Comment