8/2/11

double day

Saturday may have been my most glorious day of racing (other than my two Ironman). I watched the Federal Escape Olympic distance early and then participated in the sprint distance.  Age groups were done in 10 year brackets (boooo!) but I still won my age group. Sort of by default. I was third, but the two ahead of me were 2nd and 3rd overal and removed from age group awards. (I took 4th overall!!) I would have straight up won if they had done standard 30-34.  So, 4th woman of 100, 19th of 192 total and won my age group (of 10).

Later that day after a quick shower I headed into Seattle with Mom for the Seafair Torchlight 5k/8k and parade. Sorry mom that we got distracted at the finish and missed the parade!!!  My plan was to take it easy and run no faster than a 26 or 27 since I'd already pushed pretty hard that morning and it was blazing hot (for Seattle).  Joram and I lined up together even though he was doing the 8k. When we finally started, I just felt it. I was keeping a low 7 minute pace and feeling strong. My friend Jeff found me about half mile and I quickly introduced the guys and took off through the streets of Seattle that were lined with parade spectators and cheering for the runners. Maybe I had that Ironman finish feel going through my head or something but I kept it up and set a PR, but about 20 second or so, finishing in 23:33, or a 7:36 pace. Holy geez. So, for 1599 finishers I was 123. Of 964 women, I was 32nd!!!! And of my age group (10 year again!) I was 6th of 282!  Yowza.  I'm not going to lie, I was on fire on Saturday!  I think I know why, but I can't share it at this time  :)  

Being the big baby I am, it was all I could do to hold back tears at the finish line. I've been trying to break 24 forever. (outside of a triathlon), so this year, I've  already set two PRs. One at the half marathon distance, and one at the 5k. Who said being 31 sucks?  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment