7/27/11

My new mantra

I've decided I need a mantra. I always read in running magazines and books that you sometimes it helps to have something to repeat in your head to keep you going.  Things like "run fast, run strong"  "mind over matter" "faster, better, stronger" etc.  Today while out riding my bike (yay, a temporary summer in Seattle!!) I stopped at a stop sign only to see a ridiculous hill in front of me. The kind that makes you want to turn around and take up chess. Instead, I decided to tackle it.

Fortunately, it started with a short steep downhill before turning back up. I pushed to my hardest gear and took off.  My mistake was shifting down into my small chainring (I only have two on my tri bike) just a second too late. Yup, it stuck on the big ring. And wouldn't budge. At all. So, there I am taking on one of the biggest hills I've seen lately (and never ridden so I'm not totally sure what I'm in for!) and I'm pedaling so slowly and my quads are on fire. I'm at the point where I'm having trouble getting out of the saddle because I'm so shaky I might just tip right over. I'd probably be walkign up faster. Finally, it downshifts and eases the strain. 

That's when I realized something. I've always been so paranoid about my quads/thighs. I mean, they're pretty massive. I've had two random strangers this year call them "power quads" and you can forget about buying super cute girlie jeans or pants- not fitting over these tree trunks. However, tonight I realized that without my massive quads I don't think I would have been able to make it up that hill.  My theory is that while I'm not really that strong-just started lifting weights again a few weeks ago- I have a lot of muscle in my quads in general.  A little bit of strength to be recruited from every fiber. It's like making a rope, each fiber isn't necessarily that strong, but put them together and voila!  Anyway, at this point I learned to love my quads. I was so happy and proud of myself that when I turned around a short time later I didn't hesitate to fly all out down that hill (usually I ride at hill at least once to check for safety). The downhill rush was short lived due to a darn stop sign.  The one I almost turned around at! Still got over 35mph. But the rest of my ride I kept thinking "Learn to love it"   The things we sometimes don't like make us the strongest, help us endure. So, my new motto is:

L2<3I = Learn To Love It.

Whenever I'm tackling a big hill, a technical descent, or rough waters- I just have to learn to love it. It's part of what makes this sport so great. It's about showing myself I can do anything.

I might just get a shirt made.

No comments:

Post a Comment