9/26/10

Bri's First Oly!


So, it's come and gone and I've closed out the triathlon season with an Olympic distance- and a bike in need of repair. Joram, Jacque, Justin all came to cheer and of course my mom.  The swim couldn't have gone better- even though it was a double loop one mile.  I was really only hoping for 35 minutes but I came in around 29.  It was a smooth easy transition and off to the bike. The bike was going fairly well, except it wasn't a closed course and there were way too many vehicles for my taste. The turn around was a sharp uphill u-turn. Not cool.  On the way back I got stuck behind a couple trucks that slowed the pace- even so, I came in around 1:18. yeah!!!  The run did not go so well for me. I came out of transition flying on the run and looking back it was definitely too fast a pace for a 10k but then it felt slow. Painfully slow.  In the first couple miles my left hip and butt cheek started locking up on me. Then my left quad just above the knee, then my right quad just above the knee, then my right hamstring. Soooo... that didn't go too well. However, my goal was to finish under 3 hours and I did 2:49 and 5th in my age group. I was in second or third until well into the run when I started falling apart. I guess this is a distance I could learn to like if I could learn to run!

However, I'm definitely going to have to get my nutrition and hydration in check since about 20 minutes after finishing while gathering my stuff from transition I found myself on the pavement. I was freezing cold, then burning up and things started to go dark and blurry. Not so good. Luckily a random stranger had some hard candy, and then a coke in the car and I was doing much better.  Ugh. Of course, Joram has some pics of me laying on the ground trying to get my bearings back. Of course he does.













1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! You did it! Way to go and great finish time despite your body failing you at the end! That's pretty sweet that you shaved off 6 minutes from your anticipated swim finish time! So...come to Utah and do the Ragnar with me (and maybe Wendi)next June! High School reunion...in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete